1st July 2013
Work is well underway at Salisbury Cathedral to improve facilities for visitors, the congregation and all who work in the building.
A purpose-designed building is taking shape in the Little Paradise site between the Chapter House and south transept, as part of a long-awaited project to provide new toilet facilities and storage space. “Little Paradise is the ancient name for the area between the cathedral and the Chapter House.
The contract is due to complete by the end of November, ready for the great advent and Christmas services.
The area is being constructed in stone with flint masonry to enhance the appearance of the south side of the building. It has been designed to ensure it harmonises with the cathedral and has minimum impact on the fabric of the building. We are using Chicksgrove Chilmark limestone from a quarry just 13 miles west of Salisbury with flint and random rubble Chicksgrove walling. Apart from lead flashings, no fixings to the existing fabric are permitted.
So far our site team have discovered a bone pit and coffin!
Visitors to the cathedral this summer may see the building work in progress through a small window in the temporary boarding which has been put up while the original medieval doors are repaired in the cathedral’s workshop.
Chairman Alex Durtnell said “We are delighted to be involved with this historic project at Salisbury Cathedral. Being a family business which was established in 1591 we relish challenging and also heritage work, and we see this project as both of those. All involved at R Durtnell & Sons Ltd are greatly looking forward to working with St Ann’s Gate Architects again and to what will undoubtedly be a great end result.”